Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Heat a movie review: The angle of the dangle is proportional to the heat...

When I hear the words, comedy, Sandra Bullock and Marlon Wayans I usually run for the door or at least a large bottle of alcohol. I am talking about the movie The Heat which was released on June 28th. The plot of this movie looked really generic and there are other movies I would rather see. With that said, my wife really wanted to see this movie and I enjoy Melissa McCarthy so we went and saw it.

If you search for "man dragged to movie" this is one of the pictures that comes up.

Here is the basic gist of the entire film:

The plot of every buddy cop comedy ever...except they are women.

You probably want a little more then that huh? Okay, well Sandra Bullock is an uptight FBI agent who gets paired with the trashy foul mouthed McCarthy. They dislike each other but slowly warm up to one another as they work a case to catch a bad guy. Wackiness ensues.

The Heat...get it?
Overall:

By my description of the plot above you probably think I hated it.  You would be wrong.  This movie was pretty funny, I laughed out loud several times.  Yes, the plot is weak and the story generic but as far as I can remember I have never seen a buddy cop movie done with women.  Which at times made it feel original but also familiar.  But the gem of the movie is by far Melissa McCarthy.  Her brand of humor is blunt, witty and fresh all at the same time.  For the first half of the movie I thought really anyone could have played Sandra Bullock's role and for the most part that could be true.  But you could really see the chemistry between the two grow and really click on screen.  The timing and banter between them really worked and made you want to see what they would do next. This is unlike the movie "Identity Theft" which also stars McCarthy. Even paired with the very funny Jason Bateman they could not save that movie from feeling tired.

One thing that this movie made real clear is that raunchy female comedies are critical and financial successes. Like Bridesmaids before it, this movie has many out there, gross out moments.  Which I think is one of the reasons it does feel new. One moment in particular was that the title of the film is a direct reference made about Bullock's vagina when wearing spanks. I wouldn't rush out and see 'The Heat" but I would definitely make it a point to check it out eventually.

Oh, I forgot to mention Tom Wilson is also in it...Butt head!

Boom! That's all folks! Melissa McCarthyism is spreading!

No comments:

Post a Comment