Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tomoccupy Nicholas Cage movies!

So obviously lately people have been occupying wall Street and various cities because they disagree with corporate greed. This got me thinking...could I occupy a movie theater because a movie sucked? Or if I paid too much for it? Most likely I would be thrown out...but I could protest outside right? That's within my legal rights! Apparently protesting by not going to his movies is not working...

I really hate Nicholas Cage and I would love to occupy any location for a long time if it got someone to stop casting him. In fact I would do just about anything to never have to see his ugly, weird looking face on a new movie poster. I don't know what is wrong with the directors or casting agents but they keep casting him in these terrible action movies. I am not quite sure why either, they don't seem to do well financially. That is of course as long as they do not have the word National or Treasure in the title.

I can't remember ever liking him and for a long time I couldn't figure out when my distaste started. Then recently I saw the movie Peggy sue got Married and it all mades sense. As a kid I remember watching it and being excited to see it because I was a huge Back to the future fan and it seemed to have similar time travel elements like going to the 1950's. In my juvinile mind it was almost a like female version of my beloved movie. However, in retrospect that was altogether ruined by Cage. He does this bizarre voice and almost makes the whole movie seem like a big joke. He can't be taken seriously, and every other character can. This has to be where it all began. I must have subconsciously started to understand that a movie has to be cohesive with the story, the actors and the audience. As a kid though  I just remember thinking it was okay but not great. Now as an adult watching that movie, I just saw an actor trying too hard with a part that didn't need any weird, special voice characterization that he was trying to give it.

Now granted he has a few movies that are decent, but not because he is in them. They all have solid scripts and/or directors or even co-stars. Look at Con Air for example; his accent and acting is horrendous. My definition would be like a criminal, hippie, Forrest Gump. But because he is surrounded by talented actors the movie is a half way decent action flick.

There are also a lot of critics who think he is underrated, they think he should be held up with the greats of acting because of all the risks he takes.  Risk taking does not make you a good actor.  Risks are just that...risks.  They either work or they don't.  Most of the time for him the risks he takes just don't work. Silly voices and weird facial ticks does not a character make.  Something else has to be there, a component of realism and heart.  Not just playing dress up Mr. Cage. 

Johnny Depp is a great example of an actor who also takes risks, but there is more complexity in his risks. Look at captain Jack Sparrow. That character made the million dollar career he has today.  The studio didn't want him to do it they thought it was too risky the way he was playing it and kept trying pull him back, but eventually the director and the studio conceded and let him do his thing.  Now everyone lets him do his thing and he is a golden meal ticket. Today that character has become iconic and carried that franchise.  Those movies would be nothing without him.
My plea to you, is to stop seeing Nicholas Cage movies...please.  I don't care if he is the leading character in your favorite comic book adaptation, please don't go.  I won't be there!  I am officially done.  If we all join together we can stop this evil and disrespect to the film going audience.

Do we really need another bad Ghost Rider movie that he is the star of?

For the record I am only talking about movies going forward.  You can still watch your favorite copy of Raising Arizona or Adaptation. But from this point on, no more watching new movies that he is in!

Join the Rage down with Cage!

No comments:

Post a Comment